So you just started a new job in the "Insert Category Here" industry and are instantly expected to get up to speed so you can begin helping your team with billable work. You've heard that blogs are a great resource
to begin your education, however you discover that there are literally a million blogs you could read, so where do you start??
This situation is one that probably many individuals face and I can understand where they are coming from especially since it's quite difficult to believe which bloggers are actually telling the truth or which bloggers' strategies actually work. Below I have listed some ideas to help shortlist the number of blogs in your feed reader:
- Do some research on the author of the blog by checking out their LinkedIn profile, MySpace Page, FaceBook Group, or other Social Networking profile.
- Find out how long the Blogger has been in the industry and how long they have been blogging for.
- Has the blogger spoken at any industry related conferences?
- Run a site:www.blog.com command to find out how many pages the blog has indexed
- Use Yahoo Site Explorer to find how many back links the blog has.
- From the back links above you should be able to determine the authority of the blogger by figuring it out networks/resources the blogger writes for.
- A couple of simple measurements are looking up the blog's Google PageRank as well its Technorati rank.
- Feed Subscribers are an excellent way to determine how many other people think of the blog as a useful resource.
- Use Blog Influence and Text Link Ads' Blog Juice.
- How many other industry related blogs reference this blog as well as include this blog in their blog roll?
- Create a quality score of your own by adding a blog to your reader and monitoring number of posts, number of strategic posts, number of breaking news posts and number of re-posts of industry news.
- Do a keyword search in Google Blog Search and try reading blogs that Google suggests in its "related blogs" section.
- Find out how many members the blog has in its community at MyBlogLog.
- Is the blogger providing valuable advice that you can apply to your business or is it just old news and outdated tactics?
Original Post: Which Blogs Should I Read?
September 26, 2007
Manoj has been in the Digital marketing industry for over 10 years with experience at some of Canada's largest companies: WestJet and Shaw Communications. Manoj first started in the search marketing industry with Enquiro Search Solutions, where he spearheaded web analytics, SEO Training and the development of cutting edge search marketing solutions for clients. Manoj is also an entrepreneur in the Mobile and Local Deals space.
Manoj is a Professional Speaker having participated at events such as Web Analytics Congress (Amsterdam), Emetrics, Web Analytics Xchange, WebTrends Engage, Internet Marketing Conference, Social Media Innovation Summit and Search Engine Strategies. He has also contributed to several leading online publications such as: Search Engine Land, Marketing Pilgrim, WebProNews, Search Engine Guide and the Web Analytics Assocation.
He founded and successfully sold Web Analytics World (a top 100 Digital Marketing Blog – http://adage.com/power150) and was voted #39th Most Influential Digital Marketer in North America – 2009 (see: www.Invesp.net)