In mid July we mentioned that Google's Gmail was doing some A/B testing to help drive more Gmail registrations. During the test we noticed at least 5 or 6 different types of messaging to help lure new users to sign up. The messaging include phrases such as "Start Fresh," "Sign up for Gmail," "Pick a Name," etc...However we believe the test must be pretty close to completion as we have noticed "Pick a Name" with a dark blue background appearing fairly consistently.
If you are going to attempt some A/B testing of your own (which we definitely recommend) here are some things worth considering:
- Have you selected an appropriate segment of your page to test?
- Do you have a goal in mind for the outcome of the test?
- Do you have the ability to randomly display the 'A' and 'B' versions of the selected segment
- Have you implemented Web Analytics tracking?
- Will your web analytics software be able to help you measure the performance of your A/B test
- Specifically, will your web analytics software be able to correlate conversions back to your A/B test?
Resource: A/B Testing Case Study
Manoj has been in the Digital marketing industry for over 10 years with experience at some of Canada's largest companies: WestJet and Shaw Communications. Manoj first started in the search marketing industry with Enquiro Search Solutions, where he spearheaded web analytics, SEO Training and the development of cutting edge search marketing solutions for clients. Manoj is also an entrepreneur in the Mobile and Local Deals space.
Manoj is a Professional Speaker having participated at events such as Web Analytics Congress (Amsterdam), Emetrics, Web Analytics Xchange, WebTrends Engage, Internet Marketing Conference, Social Media Innovation Summit and Search Engine Strategies. He has also contributed to several leading online publications such as: Search Engine Land, Marketing Pilgrim, WebProNews, Search Engine Guide and the Web Analytics Assocation.
He founded and successfully sold Web Analytics World (a top 100 Digital Marketing Blog – http://adage.com/power150) and was voted #39th Most Influential Digital Marketer in North America – 2009 (see: www.Invesp.net)
Copyright © 1998 - 2018 Search Engine Guide All Rights Reserved. Privacy